Add info about the planned update interval of a plugin

Hi Festinger-Team

Currently you have two kinds of plugins in your repo, some that are updated by you at very large intervals, other in short. When i have to decide which plugin i use for a customer i cannot choose a plugin with a large update interval. Especially if the plugin is new in your repo It seems that it is a kind of luck how large or short the update intervals will be in future. For plugins longer in your repo i can estimate it by the update history.

I don’t know the reason and philosophy behind why there are plugins in the repo which got its last update two years before. Maybe to give users the possibility to play around with it and check some things. Maybe they will be dropped and not updated anymore. But for productive use and implementation on a customer’s website this would surely be not a good choice to choose such a plugin. I could waste a lot of time and money if i would trust on a short update interval that doesn’t come.

Though other gpl clubs have fewer plugins in their repo, it is much more safe to choose a specific plugin for productive use from them. because they are nearly all updated regularly.

So i recommend to add an info to each plugin about how often it is planned to update.

Thanks in advance.
André

1 Like

Hi @Andre,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and we really appreciate your feature suggestion.

We’ve added an indicator on each download to let you know the status of each product.

The indicator has also a status of ‘Unsupported’ – which means, it will not be updated anymore.

Hello Festinger

Unfortunately you closed the ticket Add info about the planned update interval of a plugin
without giving me the possibility to reply again, because it seems that you did not understand what i mean.

The “status” only to each plugin is not helpful because it does not say anything about the future update interval you plan for the plugin and therefore it does not help me when i have to decide whether i can use a plugin on a production site or not, if i want to ensure that author updates for the plugin are coming more or less regularly and shortly after release also from you in future.

You have a lot of outdated plugins in your repo for which a lot of update requests from users exist. I think all of these people would like to know how often a plugin will be updated in future by you to the most recent version before choosing it for production use. Who wants to install a plugin for a customer for which new author plugin updates are either not anymore at all or for a long time period not available through your service?! At least it would be helpful to know whether a plugin will be updated in short distances to the author update or in longer.

As one example i want to mention the plugin “Advanced Dynamic Pricing For Woocommerce (Pro)” Advanced Dynamic Pricing For Woocommerce (Pro).
I would like to use it for my customer but can’t because it is outdated for a long time now (since January 31st, 2023) and it seems to me that it may not be updated anymore by you.

André

1 Like

Hello Andre,

We re-opened your ticket and we’re sorry about the confusion here.

What we can do, is add an indicator here:

Could you let me know what status indicators you would like to have.

Thinking of:

• Frequent Updates
  • Delayed Updates

?

Thanks for re-opening.

Your suggestion sounds good as long as it really reflects the planned updates and not only the past. Maybe it would also be helpful to know when it is planned to not update a plugin anymore or when it is not sure whether future updates will come.

1 Like

Thanks for your comment here.

As this new feature request should be carried out over 25K+ items, it requires some time to do this, as it’s a manual task.

I had a chat with our team today and we think it’s a good feature suggestion.

Please let us know if you wish to have something more added to the status as explained below.

Fine. I think this will save a lot of time for your team when there are fewer requests to reply to from users who ask when the next updates will come.

Suggetion for further statuses:

• No updates anymore in future
  • Unknown whether still updated in future
1 Like

Great suggestions.

It will be included once we release our new plugin. :slight_smile: